Apr 05, 2017
from 05:00 PM to 08:00 PM
|Where||Cambridge Union, 9a Bridge Street, CB2 1UB|
|Contact Name||Louise Rushworth|
|Contact Phone||01223 760102|
Register your place via the event url.
|Add event to calendar||
The inaugural mayoral election will elect the Mayor of the Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Combined Authority, established by the seven local councils across the county. This hustings event provides Cambridge Network and BID members the chance to learn more from the prospective candidates prior to the vote in May.
As part of the devolution deal, the responsibilities of the combined authority will include the following:
- A £600 million budget for local economic growth (£20 million over 30 years)
- A £170 million budget for housing, including affordable and council housing, with £70 million specifically for housing in Cambridge
- Transport infrastructure improvement and maintenance
- Provision of skills training and apprenticeships
- Integration of local health and social care resources
- Integration of local employment services, and design of a National Work and Health Programme alongside the Department for Work and Pensions
The combined authority will be chaired by a directly elected mayor.
We are holding the hustings the day after the nominations close and hope all candidates will be there, chaired by a strong neutral person (Tom Barton of the BBC chaired our last event in the Cambridge Union).
Questions: Please submit your questions in advance to the email address at the top of this page so we can manage the time at the event and cover as many topics as possible.
5pm: Registration over coffee
5.30pm: Introduction by the event Chairman followed by chaired Q&A session
6.30pm: Networking over drinks/ light refreshments
Event supported by Astra Zeneca and Cambridge Bid.