skip to primary navigationskip to content

ESRC Future Research Leaders 2015

Restricted Call: ESRC Future Research Leaders 2015
The ESRC have announced their Future Research Leaders competition. For full details see the call specification. Proposals are welcome in any topic which falls within ESRC’s remit, but they are strongly encouraging inter-disciplinary proposals, provided 50% of the proposed research falls within the ESRC’s remit. All applicants have to have a maximum of four years’ post-doctoral experience by the closing date (29th September 2015).
This scheme attracts a high number of applicants and the ESRC expect the University to run an internal selection process to ensure that we submit only bids from outstanding individuals with the potential to become the research leaders of the future. To meet these requirements, this call will be coordinated according to the University’s Restricted Calls Procedure. For further details see:
Funding: The ESRC will cover up to 80% of the grant holder’s time (for those who submitted their thesis on or after the 29th September 2013) and the host research organisation must support the remainder of the grant holder’s normal salary (20%). For those who submitted their thesis prior to 29th September 2013, the ESRC will fund 40% of the grant holder’s time and the host research organisation must support the remainder of the grant holder’s normal salary (60%) . The Isaac Newton Trust will provide matching funding up to 40% of the applicant’s salary, capped at £18,500 per annum. If this is not sufficient to cover all required matching funding, the shortfall has to be covered by the Department. 
Mandatory EoI Stage: If you are interested in applying for this scheme, please register your interest by emailing by 24th July 2015 (17:00) stating your name, department and the summary of your proposal (no more than 1 paragraph). The purpose of this stage is to establish the number of applications and thematic areas to help us set up the review panel. Applicants that do not register their interest at the EoI stage won't be able to participate in the internal selection process (details below). 
Internal Selection deadline: For this stage, applicants will be required to submit to by 7th August 2015 (17:00):
  • The attached internal selection form 
  • The attached matching funding form signed by the relevant Departmental Administrator 
  • A letter of support from your Head of Department. This letter is very important to the success of the application as it is needed to confirm that the project is supported by the Department, the applicant’s eligibility and details of any proposed departmental support (for example the provision of a programme of research skills training).
Also attached to this email is an Excel file containing a simple formula to help Departments in their calculations of required matching funding. 
ESRC closing date: 29th September 2015 (16:00)
If you have any questions, then please write to
Additional support in preparing your application: 
Dr Daniel Wunderlich, research facilitator for arts, humanities and social sciences, will be organising a workshop for interested applicants on Tuesday 28th July, 12-2pm. There will be a sandwich lunch and coffee provided. To register please see

RSS Feed Latest news

All in a day’s work

Jun 14, 2018

Simon Deakin, Catherine Barnard and Brendan Burchell of the Cambridge Public Policy SRI are helping to understand the world of work – the good, the bad, the fair and the future.

Labour, Finance and Inequality: The Insecurity Cycle in British Public Policy

Jun 14, 2018

Following the 2008 "global" financial crisis, the viability of globalised financial capitalism was called into question. The resulting fear and uncertainty produced a momentary return to "Keynesian" policies. But as soon as emergency stimuli – and bank bail-outs – appeared to stabilise the situation, there was a sharp reversal; and successive British governments and the financial sector have since attempted to return to business as usual.

Inaugural Social Science and Law Interdisciplinary Conference

Mar 12, 2018

The recent Inaugural Social Science and Law Interdisciplinary Conference, held at Jesus College in Cambridge, brought together leading academics from law and the social sciences, including economics, to discuss inequality and the rule of law in the global north and the rising powers, particularly China.

View all news

About Us

We aim to support public policy research across Cambridge University, working with colleagues in science, social science, the arts and humanities, to apply new thinking to public policy problems and promote research and analysis into the public policy process. We hope to connect and raise the profile of existing public policy related work across the University and support collaborative research that includes policy development in a range of subject areas. 

Contact us if you are interested in joining the initiative or would like to know more.